Today I’m working out of one of my favorite local coffee shops. It’s a unique one with cushy, deep seats where I can put my feet up, a great music mix, and a super chill, living room like atmosphere. Oh, and GREAT coffee!
Today’s focus: get myself together spiritually so I can accomplish all my tasks with the right attitude! Then homework! It’s homework due day, so there’s stress as I conquer a small mountain of assignments.
I’m learning Microsoft Access, which is funny, because around 10 years ago, I was learning this same program. And my feelings toward it are about the same: it’s neat, but who really uses this thing?! I may find out someday. Perhaps not.
I’m a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
I watched the #madebygoogle Live Event today in which they revealed their new and improved gadgets. Many of you know, I am a gadget girl. I’m also a futuristic girl who loves improving what can be improved (and that’s everything).
[Note: I’m a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.]
My thoughts, expressed as a Twitter Moment:
- I’m SO ready to sign up to purchase Google Pixel 2 (5″, Clearly White, in case anyone wants to gift it 😁).
- I agree phone size should not determine your hardware experience, merely offering consumers a choice in screen size. (Looking at you, iPhoneX.)
- I had not fully explored the Google Home Assistant line, and it seems really neat. The integrations with Nest are on point. I love the simplicity of simply saying “Good night Google” and the Assistant knows what that means and begins a series of integrative steps to get you ready for bed, such as alarming your security system, adjusting the thermostat, reminding you of your first calendar appointment of the morning, and turning off lights. Amazingly helpful.
- Speaking of helpful, the next-level integration with the Nest Security Cameras and Assistant will not only let you see who is at your front door while in another room via Google Home and your TV, but can broadcast who is at the front door if it recognizes the face. Incredibly handy feature for stay-at-home moms!
- Google Lens: all the yesses in the world for this feature. I have longed for a way to identify or look up info on everyday objects around me for ages (e.g. point camera and identify “What kind of tree is this?”).
- Presenter Juston SO looks like a Juston/Justin.
- I liked the DJ and bumper music.
- The AR features… I’m not sure I’m a target audience for it. Outside of interior design aids, I’m not sure how I would use that in my everyday life. It’s pretty cool, though.
- On a practical and fashion note, I’m sure it’s standard for presentations such as these, but I noted the very neutral and clean fashion of each presenter. I feel that’s a pro tip: when you have a big presentation to give, dress simply, keep your accessories minimal to let your content shine.
What were your favorite moments of #madebygoogle? Comment below.
How cute (and accurate) are these girls?! Enjoy, and follow their advice! #CallOnJesus
I’ve decided to chronicle some of my daily or weekly happenings, a little “sneak peek” in my world. (For those who are interested.)
Verse I’m Meditating On:
2 Corinthians 9:8
God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work.
What I’m Listening To:
Aw man, this is a hard one. There are always several (I LIVE through music) however “Glimmer in the Dust” (Hillsong United) and “Find Yourself” (Great Good OK, Fine Before You Exit) are running through my head.
High of the Day:
Breakfast with a good friend who is always encouraging! Just an amazing sister in Christ. 🙂 Second: the flexibility of being able to work from anywhere, currently, outside enjoying this beautiful day.
I’m back with another episode of People of Starbucks. Seen today:
- A napper. (Yes, a person taking a quick snooze, at least I assume it was quick. I didn’t see them until I had been seated for several minutes.)
- Someone I’ve seen before at this same location. (“The Regular”)
I’m a people watcher. I’m a people lover. I love noticing details and developing narratives about other’s lives based solely on how they present themselves to the world. (You should try it! Just don’t say any of it aloud.)
Since being in the job hunt I have taken to the typical freelancer/writer/student/unemployed route: haul myself, my books, and my laptop to the nearest Starbucks for a
morning afternoon of work on their freely available Internet.
Well well well. The people you see at a Starbucks… I figured the popular “People of Wal-Mart” blog exists for the same purposes, and I thought I’d catalog the People of Starbucks. Because they’re out there!
- Person sitting with an open laptop yet typing on their smartphone the whole time.
- Person walking IN with an open laptop in his arms.
- A different person walking OUT all the way to their car with an open laptop.
- Person sitting outdoors with the smallest, thickest-necked chihuahua I’ve ever seen.
- People who leave their laptop, phone, keys, wallet, etc. on the table for a disturbingly long time.
Lattes up, y’all! What foolery have you spotted at your local bucks of star?
You’re curious. So am I. Everyone loves peeking inside another communicator or designer’s toolbox! I won’t beat around the bush here and just get to listing off the tools I use on the daily for work.
WordPress, Adobe Muse, Adobe Dreamweaver, Jotform, Brackets
Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
Social Media Management
Social Media (holla!)
Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Tumblr
Of course, having tools doesn’t guarantee you awesome results. Only hard work, trial and error, knowledge, and applied creativity does that! But it’s fascinating and fun to discover new tools to meet your needs.
What’s your favorite design tool? Comment below.